How to have a "Lit" Spring Break in Paris, France

In a historically literary city, it's hard to pinpoint exact places that would help create a "Lit" spring break. Paris is a city where art, history, culture, and literature all seem to converge in the streets, architecture, and people of the city. After spending a week in Paris, it is not hard to see why this city has inspired artists, musicians and writers alike. Maybe it's the narrow streets and Parisian buildings, the flow of the Seine dividing the city, or the Eiffel Tower looming above, but it is not hard to feel inspired by this romantic city.

Here are some of the ways I made my trip to Paris a "lit" one:

1. Shakespeare and Company
When you mention literature and Paris one of the first things that should come to mind is the Shakespeare and Company bookstore. This infamous bookstore has been featured in movies, novels and other forms of pop culture. Shakespeare and company's rich history and culture make it a landmark for writers and readers to visit when in Paris.

As an English bookstore in the heart of Paris, Shakespeare and Company has become a must-see for an English speaker's "lit" spring break in Paris. The moment I walked into the bookstore I felt like I walked into my home. Being surrounded by other book lovers, books and the eclectic decoration of the bookstore felt like a warm hug welcoming me to the literary motherland.


2. Coffee, Coffee, and more Coffee
I think every English major and book enthusiast can agree that a good read and a good cup of coffee go hand in hand. In Paris, the coffee was so good. At every coffee shop I went to, you could tell they put a lot of attention and effort into making sure your cup of coffee was perfect. I can't talk about what the best coffee shops in Paris are because I didn't try all of them. I don't think you could go wrong with any coffee shop in Paris, but here are the places I went to that I thought were pretty foolproof.
I only ever order iced oat milk lattes. Sometimes I settle for almond milk, but luckily in Paris, they have oat milk everywhere!
My favorite place for an iced oat milk latte was Loustic. The croissants and coffee were top notch. There was also a very cute sitting area where you can enjoy your coffee and chat with friends!

Almost every day we were in Paris we kept going back to the same coffee shop, 5 Pailles. It was a two minute walk from the apartment we were staying at and the owner and baristas were so welcoming! The owner remembered all of our orders after the first day, and he even recommended the best bakery to us. Although we got our coffee to go every time, the back had the most aesthetically pleasing sitting area. A perfect place to read a good book with a good cup of coffee!


3. Visit the graves of famous authors
Many famous writers are buried in Paris. Writers like Victor Hugo and Oscar Wilde have graves that are open to the public. 
Victor Hugo wrote iconic French literature. His repertoire of novels includes Les Miserables and The Hunchback of Notre Dame. Visiting Victor Hugo's grave was a surreal experience. He is in the Pantheon, with other famous French war heroes, politicians, and artists. As an English major, it was inspiring and humbling to be at the gravesite of the man who affected so many people with his words. 
Oscar Wilde is also buried in Paris. I didn't visit his grave and I regret it. Oscar Wilde's tomb is located in the Père Lachaise cemetery. His tomb, now protected by a glass barrier, is covered in lipstick stained kisses. For years admirers of Wilde's work would leave a lipstick kiss on his tomb.

5. Go see famous artwork, in person!
In my mind, art and literature go hand in hand. They both reveal and criticize the truths of life and culture through a creative process only some of us are brave enough to endure. It's a no brainer for people to go to Paris and see famous works of art. Especially paintings like the Mona Lisa or Van Gogh's Self Portrait from 1889. When looking at them in person I was able to understand why writers and creators are fascinated with the stories and meanings behind these works. 

That's my list! Obviously, there are so many other ways you can make your spring break literary, especially in very literary cities like Paris. I think wherever you go there is always a way you can relate your trip back to literature. All roads lead to books!

Comments